Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sewing, Sewing

Hi. I'm sorry for taking so long to post. I have been job hunting and have only had 2 interviews in 4 months. I'm a bit more depressed than usual. I have a friend that rented a spot in a flea market and offered to put some of my items for sale. I'ts been a bit slow. I also put some of my collectables up for sale. They are doing better than the crafts!

I made some small purses with my beaded appliques on them. My sister wanted a small purse/wallet to use for the summer. She only carries a debit card, cell phone, and a small amount of cash. In the winter it goes in her coat pocket, but for summer she wanted somthing with a long handle that could be removed.

I sew an outline of the motif in chain stitch on the fabric before I bead it. So I trimmed to about 1/4 inch from that outline, clipped the curves and folded the extra fabric to the back and basted it to the back of the beading.



Then I appliqued the motif to the front part of the purse, sewing through the chain stitch so the applique stitches dont show.



After that I sewed in a zipper, added a lining and a handle. I put two pockets inside. I think they turned out ok.






This is a bag I beaded on a dark blue velvet. It is lined with a sparkly blue satin.



These are a couple of purses I made from my stash of fabrics.




And here are some flower dolls.



My sewing machine tension went crazy, so I had to take it to the repair shop. I was in the middle of a new project. About 2 years ago I bought a reproduction treadle sewing machine, but I had never used it. So I opened it up and figured out how to make it work after a little trial and error. I have a lot of admiration for the women who sewed on these machines. After about 30 minutes, my legs were getting sore. I didn't finish my project, but now I know I have a resource if the power goes off and we need some sewing done. I got my machine back after 3 days. Joy! It's not the best machine, but it is way better than the treadle.

Happy sewing.

4 comments:

  1. WOW such beautiful work!! I can't say which I love the most!! Your beading is great, so jealous, wishing I could bead!!
    Good Luck with the job search.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the beaded bags too. You do such beautiful work. Sorry to hear about your tough time finding a job. It's not a good job market for anyone these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your beaded work is lovely! Keep at it and keep positive - something good will be sure to come your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally blown away by your beading creations - you have an amazing talent and most certainly the patience of Job! Thanks for sharing these beatiful photos of the creations - unbelievable!

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete